faq's for fireworks


Why should our event have a fireworks display?

Obviously, you may want a display simply because you love the sight and sound of a beautiful fireworks show.

However that is not the only reason that fireworks are used. Consider some of the following:

  • fireworks are a great marketing tool
    Event organisers don't put fireworks on for the fun of it - they expect a high return on their investment. The reason fireworks are still being used for events is that they are a very effective marketing tool.

  • fireworks bring people to events
    Most events are put on by community groups - such as Lions, Apex, Hospital Foundations, etc. Statistics show that by putting on fireworks more people will attend the event. At the same time, organisations such as the SES will then be able to do fund-raising / awareness raising / and recruiting at these events.

    A fireworks display also "holds" people until the conclusion of an event. Whilst waiting, most people will buy extra food and drinks meaning more income for the event (great for the school fete fundraiser!).

  • fireworks help to raise funds / awareness / recruiting
    Displays bring people to events - and while those people are there the organisers are able to reach a much wider audience for donations.

  • fireworks provide flow on effects to the economy
    There are flow on effects such as the side businesses (fast food etc) that would be frequented by the families that attend - these businesses will inject further funds into our economy.


When do I need to let you know that I want a display?

There are various permits and notifications that we need to make before any display. Department of Mines & Energy require 7 days notice while Queensland Transport (for water based displays) need a minimum of 32 days.

Therefore the following minimum timeframes are advisable:

  • 14 days before display for land based displays
  • 34 days before display for water based displays

Obviously, contracting an operator as early as possible is advisable as depending on the time of year, your preferred operator may be busy.


How much area do I need?

Most displays require a minimum of 65 metres radius (from all spectators and occupied buildings) is required. An area of this size will give you the widest possible range of effects and product.

However, if you have less area it is still possible to do a good display. In this case a minimum of 40 metres is required. See the Tweed River Festival display video for an idea of this type of display.

Indoor displays use close-proximity effects which allows for less distance to spectators and are determined on a case-by-case basis.


What does a fireworks display cost?

For displays on or near water our minimum show is $3,500*. The extra cost is partially due to the need to hire water police to secure the area. An extra benefit of using Spectrum Fireworks is that we have our own barges. This means that you save the cost of barge hire which is usually upwards of $1,500.

*Extra expenses are incurred for displays on the Brisbane River - please contact us for a quote.


Who should I choose to do my display?

Of course we think you should choose us!

If for some reason we can't perform your display, choose your operator carefully and make sure they conform to the following:

  • Have current public liability insurance;
  • Have the necessary licence for the display you require;
  • Have good references; and most importantly
  • Have a good safety record.


Can I buy fireworks from you?

Sorry, but no.

It is illegal for the public to use or possess fireworks and could result in large fines.


I want to be a pyrotechnician, how do I become one?

To be involved in the pyrotechnics industry you don't actually need a licence but would need to work under the supervision of a licenced operator. However, you do need to be over 18 years of age to gain entry to a display site.

  • Apprenticeship
    There is no formal apprenticeship for pyrotechnicians. New staff generally start with working around the site on such things as security and clean up, progressing to set-up of displays and then onto firing of a show - all after appropriate training, of course.

  • Training
    Training is given "in-house" and onsite. The industry/DME has developed a Certificate IV course and is currently looking for an RTO to deliver the material. More information can be found on the Department of Mines & Energy website at http://www.dme.qld.gov.au/mines/safe_use_of_fireworks.cfm.

    The most important attribute any pyro can have is COMMONSENSE along with a healthy respect for the products used.

  • Qualifications
    After relevant training and study, a prospective pyrotechnician would be able to sit for their Shotfirers Licence with the Department of Mines & Energy. However obtaining this licence does not enable the holder to fire a display unless they are working on a job for a "Fireworks Contractor" who has relevant licencing and insurance.

The pyrotechnics industry is quite small as Australia isn't a very large market - this means there is not many full-time jobs available. We would therefore recommend that you look at other work options and keep pyrotechnics as a part-time job/hobby/passion, which may lead into a permanent position. For example, most pyrotechnic companies would have only one or two full time workers with another 10 to 20 part-timers.

Get in touch
0414 537 909